Danielskuil Genealogy and
Between 2019 and 2023 the Karoo Development Foundation undertook a project to write up family histories in Danielskuil, a mining town in the Northern Cape.
This settlement originated in 1820, when the Griqua captain, Barend Barends, settled there with his followers.
Today, the population is descended from Griqua roots, as well as Tswana, Afrikaans and English people.
Our project was funded by the National Heritage Council, as well as the Dutch Culture NGO.
Danielskuil is also part of the Forgotten Highway Route.
In February 2023, we published our book called Danielskuil: ‘n Skatkis vol Stories. The low-resolution PDF is available here for download.
Pictures: Book launches in Danielskuil, 28 February 2023:
- The Mayor of Kgatelopele Local Municipality, Councillor Ireen Williams, receives her copy of Danielskuil: ‘n Skatkis vol Stories, from Prof Doreen Atkinson.
- Mr Fritz Steenkamp, headmaster, and learners of the Kuilsville High School receive a copy of the book.
- Ms Jackie Bezuidenhout, head of the Danielskuil High School, receives her copy of the book. Her grandfather, Rev Bart Haai, figured prominently in the book.
- The learners at Danielskuil High School at the book launch.
We collected a great deal of information, particularly about the Kuilsville and Tlaka-la-Tlou communities, which you can download:
- A list of names on headstones in Kuilsville cemetery, until the year 2020: Click here
- A list of baptisms in the United Reformed Church (previously the Nederduitse Gereformeerde Sendingkerk) – 1920-2000: Click here
- A membership list of the United Reformed Church – 1910–1989: Click here
- A list of baptisms in the NG Kerk van Afrika – 1933-2015: Click here
- A list of baptisms in the Congregational church (previously the London Missionary Society) – 1911-1963: Click here
- A list of marriages in the Congregational Church (previously the London Missionary Society) – 1905-1968: Click here.