In October 2022, we held our first activity – the Forgotten Highway Expedition.
Now we launch our second major event – the Forgotten Highway Summit.
The Summit consists of a two-day conference at the historic Melton Wold Guest Farm, on Friday 19 May and Saturday 20 May. Click here for our latest programme.
The lovely farm is situated between Victoria West and Loxton (about 40 km from each town, on a good tar road). See http://meltonwold.co.za/ for more information.
A limited number of rooms are available at Melton Wold on the night of Thursday 18 May and Friday 19 May. Of course participants may wish to stay on and enjoy the farm’s Karoo ambience!
All accommodation costs must be covered by the delegates themselves – please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 053 621 1912 for bookings at Melton Wold, or explore the many fine guest houses in Victoria West – see the Lekkeslaap, Travelground, Bookings.com, Afristay and Safarinow websites.
We will have a MOVIE NIGHT at the historic Apollo Theatre in Victoria West on Friday 19 May, at 7 pm.
Conference costs: R300 per person per day (=R600 for the whole conference). PLEASE BOOK ONLINE! This includes all meals except Friday evening where light meals will be for sale at Apollo Theatre for our MOVIE NIGHT.
FRIDAY MOVIE NIGHT will cost R50 per person, and will include:
Special guest lecture
Prof Nigel Penn: The Koornlands Kloof Massacre, 1801
Movies by Africa Meets Africa:
- Pathways to the Interior
- My Room at the Centre of the Universe
The Conference will be opened by Prof Nigel Penn, the author of the important book called The Forgotten Frontier.
We have 22 speakers from the local communities along the route, showcasing the heritage and tourism assets of their towns and districts.
The key themes include:
- The origin of the Route and the expanding frontier
- The prehistory of the route: Fossils and Ancient Civilisations
- Early Explorations and Encounters
- Our Towns and their Origins
- Building the Forgotten Highway Route
- Building Synergies and Collaboration amongst Route Stakeholders.
Presentations will be in English and Afrikaans / Aanbiedings sal in Engels en Afrikaans wees. Power presentation will assist in translations / Ons sal powerpoint gebruik om inligting te vertaal.
The conference costs R300/day (total R600 for the whole event). This does not include meals or tea/coffee, which can be purchased directly from service providers (bring along some cash to purchase your meals. Crafts will also be on sale.
We would like to sponsor key local champions from the Route to attend the conference. This will be on the basis of their community role, their potential contribution, and their inability to pay their own way.
We do not have sufficient funds for this, so we appeal to other conference-goers to consider making a sponsorship donation. There are three levels of sponsorship.
- Basic sponsorship costs R600 (two days’ conference attendance)
- Gold sponsorship costs R1 300, for conference fees and one night’s accommodation per sponsored delegate
- Platinum sponsorship costs R1 800, for conference fees, one-night accommodation, and R500 petrol money.
Your company or private contribution may be acknowledged on our Forgotten Highway Summit page if you agree to this.
How to book your place at the Conference
- Please fill in the form below, and submit it.
- If you need a tax invoice, please indicate whether you prefer communication by email or WhatsApp.
- Please make a payment for R300 (one day) or R600 (both days) for EACH DELEGATE.
- Please use the word “Summit” and your full name (e.g. “Summit Jane Smith”) as reference.
- Bank info
Karoo Development Foundation Trust
Branch code: 050018
Savings Account: 280325142
- Please email your proof of payment to email@example.com.
We look forward to seeing you in Victoria West!
Any queries can be directed to Prof Doreen Atkinson, firstname.lastname@example.org, or whatsapp 071 401 2583.